Thursday, September 22, 2005
On Meeting Neil Gaiman
I thought it would be easy to compose a blog entry about my evening. (I'm wrong of course--it's my burden) But I’m sitting here in my study, drinking a nice fine red wine, and trying to find the right words to do the evening justice.

You see, tonight Morgan and I met Neil Gaiman. He was signing at Joseph-Beth, a very nice bookstore here in town. When dealing with a writer of Mr. Gaiman’s ilk you expect a crowd and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. However the diversity of people there impressed me most. The very young, as in five years old, and the very old showed up in mass numbers. I believe there must have been at least two hundred and fifty people. Most had pre-ordered their copies of Anansi Boys, but many bought their books tonight.

We waited patiently, if such a thing is possible, and were promptly rewarded at six o’clock. Mr. Gaiman came out dressed in his traditional black, I would expect nothing less from him, I loved his boots by the way. He looks exactly like his pictures. A little travel weary perhaps, but then again this was a book signing and he had been traveling all day. (I've looked at his schedule and let me tell you the man is a machine) Yesterday, he told us that at his signing in New York over seven hundred and fifty people showed up. (If that had been me, I'm afraid I would have turned around and walked right back out...LOL)He was infinitely glad there were not THAT many people tonight. I’m sure his fingers appreciated it too.

He began with a reading from “Anansi Boys”, a lively tale about Fat Charlie. I’m not going to tell you more than that because you should go out and buy a copy of this delightful book. It’s funny, so very human, and exceptionally good. I'm already halfway done and will finish today.

I have to say that Mr. Gaiman is an entertaining reader. His tone and inflection perfect, not to mention the accent, he certainly had us laughing at Fat Charlie. After the reading he did a question and answer session. (“I’ll let you ask the questions…although I don’t promise to have all the answers”, he said.) He gave us little anecdotes about his great aunts (I believe the word he used was dodgy--but after two glasses of red don't hold me to that) which inspired the character of Rose’s Mum in the “Anansi Boys”, which I found hilarious. Evidently the only thing Rose’s Mum (Rose by the way is Fat Charlie’s Fiancé) keeps in her ice box is vitaminized water and rye crackers. Apparently one of his Aunts keeps Mineral water and newspapers in her refrigerator but he quickly pointed out that no one would believe the newspaper bit. (I meant to tell him that I would--If he told me that the moon was made of Gouda--I'd believe him.) He also went on to say that navigating the churning waters of family ‘who is talking to whom at the moment’ is always chancy. I have to agree with him on that one. Families are stranger than fiction for sure. (They make no sense what so ever—and unfortunately enough for us writers—our characters do need to make sense. Even if only to us.)

He also mentioned that at some point in time we might see a collection of short stories, that the Beowulf and Grendle film he is involved with starts shooting in five days, that there is a short story floating about in his brain about the Marquis De Carabbas (and his missing coat), and possibly some further short stories set in the Neverwhere World. I'm missing a great deal of detail but I couldn't stand the thought of writing down what he said word for word as it would have taken away from the moment. Let's suffice it to say the man has more irons in the fire than Carter has pills.

There was one point he made that really hit home with me (as a writer) when someone asked him about a book he was working on… He said that the inspiration for the story came to him back in 1985 yet he felt at that time his skills did not do the story justice. So he sat on the story until he felt ready to tackle it. (now I know I said that I would believe pretty much whatever he told me, but him not having the skill baffles me, but as a writer I still understand it, if that makes any sense at all and it made me feel much better about myself as I have several stories perculating in my brain waiting for my writing skills to catch up to my imagination. I may be waiting a while) It was nice to hear none the less.

Now for all you visual people who like to have a picture painted with words I'll try my best but if I fail miserably I hope you will forgive me. We are in fact talking about Neil Gaiman here. *grin* So if you asked me to describe him from the little I saw today I’m not sure I could quite capture the essence of him. But I'll give it a shot anyway.

He is witty, incredibly intelligent (sorry it showed), handsome in a devil may care sort of way with his longish black hair (that looks like he's had his hands in it) and mischievous brown eyes that look like they just might hold the secrets to the universe. He has the most incredible reading voice, deep and fluid and he didn't stumble one time. (Not that I expected him to, but I always seem to get ahead of myself when I read aloud and it is my greatest fear--well that and the thought that I might spit on someone) He held us all spellbound. I swear there is magic in his voice and well he is a very gracious writer.

Gracious meaning that he was everything you would want a fantastic writer to be. Open and honest, ready with a smile, or a quick humorous quip that eased our nerves because I can tell you that most of us were a bit nervy at getting to meet him.

One thing I thought was especially nice is what he did for those with children. (Those of us with children who have waitied in long lines while listening to a whining child who only wants to go home so they can watch Teen Titans, or heaven forbid another Lizzie McGuire episode for the one hundredth time truly appreciate it.) Those with children came through the signing line first. His preference and I heard it straight from the employee’s mouth to a mother of two. That left me smiling and seeing as I didn't have a child with me I appreciated it as well. Crying babies still have the ability to make the knee's knock when you are childless.

When I finally got to the signing table, I shook his hand, said something incredibly stupid like I hope your hand holds up, and could you please sign my friends tarot card deck to "Tinkerbelle on Meth" at which he laughed while signing my books. For Neverwhere, he wrote “Mind the gap” and for Anansi Boys he personalized it and then circled the “This one’s for you” in the dedication. He did the same for Morgan who was for once stunned speechless (I know--such things are miracles) and then he signed her Sandman Tarot Deck. He also congratulated her on her two book sale. I had to mention it to him of course because I knew she would never do it.

All in all it was a fantastic evening. I’ll be posting pictures here in a bit! He had been signing for four hours when I left, but I’m sure that he stayed until the bitter end. Bless him and I hope he has safe travels for the rest of the tour.

Edited to add: He also thanked all that read his live journal.


3 Comments:

Blogger Morgan Hawke said...

Meeting Mr. Gaimen was like coming face to face with a god -- and discovering that he really WAS everything you'd expect him to be. (And nice too!)

Morgan
(Who really was struck speechless...)

Blogger Lynn said...

(sigh) So wish that I could have gone with you two. Especially to see Morgan speechless. Now, THAT really was an occasion. ;) Oh, well, maybe next time I'll find the courage to call out "sick" from my classes. But, of course, I'll see ya this weekend! Yay!!

Blogger Michelle said...

Lynn, You're the professor you're not allowed to "call out" on your classes. You are supposed to have a calling. Isn't that why college prof's teach? Btw...I'm going to prod a bit here. How is the dissertation coming along? Only a couple more steps and we'll have to start calling you Dr. Lynn...*grin* I hang out with some of the smartest people I swear!
Hugs!

Post a Comment

<< Home