Sunday, August 14, 2005
Today's work...still not done
Today's work has been interesting. In the previous post I've discussed that I'm doing character work. It has been fun. A challenge and I'm not done yet. This is a little pet project and something that Maddie is trying to assist me in learning. Lean characterization. It's very important.

Didn't get to do as much as I wanted today but I'm taking my notebook and some reference books to bed with me for some well needed computer away time. In revision I've found that it is easier to 'think' away from the computer with pen and paper in hand. These are important things, these particular revisions. I might add that I spent about two hours today on the Super Secret Project A.

On Project Numero Uno.
Yesterday I re-wrote the second and third section. There again were needed revisions to fit the new block I'm creating. I think I've mentioned before that these two characters now have a history. At first I hadn't arranged things this way but after looking at my timeline and the flow and pacing of this book I decided that it would be a smarter move to give them some history. You won't know this immediately. However, it does come out rather quickly. It's the old 'grab the reader by throat and don't let go' syndrome. I want a fast pace for this book. So work still continues and I would say I re-wrote about a thousand words between Thursday and Friday on this particular project.

All Things Old.
I've been making notes. Jotting down bits of inspiration that come to me. Then pushing it back away again until it stews a bit more. It's a very complex story and one that will not be written for many many months. Which is probably a good a thing. *grin* Lot's of issues to work out but it came to me today--goals. Some character goals for the series and some for the first book. Trying to write a series of books with the same characters is a bit more complicated than a simple one book idea. You have to think of it more like a television series. There is a main story arc that threads in with individual story arcs. So really there are simultaneous threads running amuck everywhere. Enough to give even the most brilliant of people a migrane. And I have never claimed to be brilliant.

Then there is another story that I have neglected. One that is quite near and dear to my heart. I've only written two sections and the blurb (which must be re-done) but I work on that when I need some respite from the others. I've got to do some serious character work on these two characters. That will be next up but I've got their notebook started.

It is amazing how many things you can work on at one time. The trick is organization. How I love whoever invented spiral notebooks. Whoever you are--thank you from the bottom of my little pea picking heart.

On the home front I spent the day at the lake. Swimming and enjoying my family. A good day. Tomorrow I'm leaving early in the morning to go see some writer friends. One of which is leaving to go back to New Zealand and who knows when we may see her again. It saddens me but I know that it is what is right for her. So I won't be back until late tomorrow afternoon where the laundry (which is piling up) will be waiting along with all these stories my brain is burning to tell.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.


2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

In a way I wish I was alone and writing. *grin* Then I would feel more productive. Argh!

Hugs sweetie! I'll write as soon as I get back

Blogger Shesawriter said...

You've been quite the busy bee, Michelle. Very good. I did some editing this weekend. I plan to read some craft books this week to maybe shake some of the dust out of my brain.

Tanya

Post a Comment

<< Home